Norman Motorcycles Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Villiers 6E start problems

2 posters

Go down

Villiers 6E start problems Empty Villiers 6E start problems

Post  B2 DK Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Help… I can’t start my Norman B2 1952 with a 6E Villiers engine.

Timing:
Piston set 5/32 = 0,362cm before reaches top of stroke

Ignition:
Contact points are about to open 0,015” (new ignition has been fitted)

Carburettor:
Needle adjusted to move ¼” between rich and weak

Petrol
Mixture in accordance with the instruction book

…. Still I can’t get it started – it backfire a little now and then bang, bang and puf puf etc. but no throttle.

Helpful advise will be highly appreciated, thanks

B2 DK

Back to top Go down

Villiers 6E start problems Empty Re: Villiers 6E start problems

Post  mr.rabbit Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:10 am

Hello Mr.DK or may I call you B2?What have you done to the engine?When was it last running?Your problem sounds a bit like an ignition problem but if for instance the engine has not been run for a very long time then you could have a problem with the crankcase seals not doing their job so that you do not have the proper crankcase compression.One problem which I have noticed recently is that the flywheels are losing their magnetism(they have been flywheels for a very long time)which means the ignition is not man enough to produce a good spark,you can do a rough check by putting a spanner on the magnet and see if you can lift the flywheel off the bench.You won't be able to lift it completely but at least you should be able to move it around with the spanner.If not they can be remagnetised.Silly question,do you have the proper exhaust fitted and have you made sure that the silencer is not bunged up with carbon,a two stroke needs a little back pressure from the exhaust but not too much.Try the carburettor needle in the central notch just to get it running then fine tune later.You say that you have new ignition fitted what was wrong with old set?many pattern parts are just not up to the job and you must make sure that you do not have resistor plug leads,plug cap or sparkplug as the Villiers ignition system was not designed to work with such modern components.Does the sparkplug get wet when you try to start the engine or does it stay dry.Wet means that you may not have good spark or far too much fuel going in or timing way out,dry could mean nor enough fuel going in perhaps caused by an air leak somewhere.That little lot should set you thinking for a while,have fun and let us know how you get on Paul

mr.rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  B2 DK Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:13 am

Dear Paul, thank you for reply. I never succeed to get it start properly, it kept backfiring and I put it a side for about two year – but I refuse to sell it just because I cannot get it to run – and now I’m giving it a final go….

To your questions
- New crankcase seals have been fitted on both side
- Flywheel magnetism is okay
- New and proper exhaust has been fitted
- Ignition vise, no modern components have been fitted – the old contact point were missing when I brought the motorcycle – new were sourced
- Okay, sparkplug do get a little wet when I try to start it – what’s your advise to that?

Also, all new components have been sourced through Villiers Services. Honestly I don’t know what to do – I just want to ride my bike. Do you know of any Dane’s who own a motorcycle fitted with at Villiers 6E or 10E engine that I could contact?

Your continuous help will be highly appreciated, thanks

/Lars

B2 DK

Back to top Go down

Post  mr.rabbit Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:47 am

Hello Lars.Have you got a nice fat spark at the spark plug?When you try to kickstart the engine do you feel a good compression?If you have these then make absolutely sure that the ignition timing is correct and use fresh petrol well mixed with the right sort of oil.The parts from Villiers Services can be relied on,often they are original Villiers manufactured parts.You might have the wrong spark plug fitted which is not working propely under compression.If you look up(on the internet)The Green Spark Plug Company you should be able to find a modern equivilent spark plug to suit yor engine,or even an original 'old stock' plug.I have found with my Normans(a Nippy and a B1S)that they run better with the right plug fitted.Good luck,Paul

mr.rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  B2 DK Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:51 am

Hi Paul, I really appreciated your quick respond. I tried to start it this morning and after several kick's it backfired again again. The compression is very good when I kickstart it - petrol mix is fresh - no problem there... Spark plug is a KLG F80 which should be similar to the one specified in the instruction book LODGE HH14 14MM .018"/0.25"

/Lars

B2 DK

Back to top Go down

Post  mr.rabbit Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:08 am

Hello Lars,that sounds like the correct plug,set it at 0.018, is it a new plug?do you have another plug you could try?If the engine is backfiring then the ignition timing could be too far advanced,try setting it at top dead centre,just to get the engine running.Do not ride it far at that setting because the engine will get too hot.Does the engine spit back through the carburettor when you kick it over?With the timing at top dead centre beware that the engine could start and run backwards it probably won't harm the engine but will be very difficult to ride.Paul

mr.rabbit

Back to top Go down

Villiers 6E start problems Empty Villiers 6E start problem

Post  B2 DK Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Hello Paul, I have tested the ignition and the spark plug today (new spark plug too) - at each quick kick I get a blue flash from the plug - I believe that spark is okay. Now I will try to set the timing a little closer to the top dead with a setting of 0,018. Said that the engine now and then split back through the carburetor when I kick it, what does that mean? ...and what can I do to prevent this? /Lars

B2 DK

Back to top Go down

Villiers 6E start problems Empty Villiers 6E start problem

Post  B2 DK Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:29 am

Hello there, It seems that I have located the problem; spark comes and goes – as I have my limitation in trouble shouting the complete armature plate it has be sent to Villiers Services for 100% check and rebuilt if necessary. Thank you for your help

B2 DK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down