Norman Motorcycles Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

o well no info is better then the wrong info

3 posters

Go down

o well no info is better then the wrong info  Empty o well no info is better then the wrong info

Post  singo696 Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:46 am

hi as you can see i have been trying to get some info on my Norman bike
with no luck
so i used my imagination and come to this
what do you think
and still any info the bike would be great
thanks
o well no info is better then the wrong info  010_zps6d543e99
o well no info is better then the wrong info  003-1_zps3bc6a634
o well no info is better then the wrong info  005_zps7f023cb9
o well no info is better then the wrong info  007-1_zps135ec810
o well no info is better then the wrong info  008-1_zps30d85dab

singo696

Back to top Go down

o well no info is better then the wrong info  Empty Re: o well no info is better then the wrong info

Post  mr.rabbit Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:50 am

That is one handsome bicycle.Isn't it? I have been searching for a Norman gent's bike for years,some years ago a friend of mine rang me and said "I have found you a Norman".When I looked into his shed 'The Norman' was a motorbike,I liked the look of it and my wife liked the colour so I bought it and have enjoyed it ever since.Then along came a Nippy to keep it company but I still don't have a Norman bicycle to join my Raleigh and my 1920's Hercules.I would post a picture but the last time I tried that the site wouldn't allow it.Cheers.Paul

mr.rabbit

Back to top Go down

o well no info is better then the wrong info  Empty re

Post  singo696 Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:51 am

THANK YOU FOR YOUR NICE COMMENTS
BUT I WOULD STILL LIKE SOME INFO ON THE BIKE

singo696

Back to top Go down

o well no info is better then the wrong info  Empty Re: o well no info is better then the wrong info

Post  mr.rabbit Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 am

I can't tell anything by the numbers of your Norman but if the equipment is original I can make a guess as to it's date.The date of the Sturmey Archer gear will be stamped on the case.Various early bikes I have give me some clues about yours,the lamp is the same as my Raleigh Superbe Tourist and the brakes look identical to those on my Rudge(really a Raleigh with a different badge,I suppose)The saddle is a type that is still available although a premium bond win will help the purchase of a new one.The other clue would be the brake levers,early ones were cast and after about 1954 they were pressed steel.If my guess is correct I would date your beauty as 1952-1953.The reason that the Norman factory closed down was because the firm was the subject of an aggressive take over by Tube Investments which was Raleigh Industries by another name.The last of the Norman Nippy's were Raleigh Mopeds with a Norman badge and were made in the Raleigh factory in Nottingham.Many local people that I knew worked "at the Norman"and were very sad when the firm was closed down through no fault of their own,it was very much a family business.Part of the old factory is still standing and is now used by a firm that make huge tanks and sheet metal equipment.Ride and enjoy,Paul

mr.rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  singo696 Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:18 am

thank you Paul for the info
all i bought was the the frame and forks
chain guard / mudguards / and brakes / crank and pedals
all other parts i have put on the bike
ie wheels / seat / handlebars ect ect
so to try and date it from the hubs is not correct in this case
so still needing info on model Very Happy / date ect ect please

singo696

Back to top Go down

Post  dannyc7147 Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 am

I'll put it as late 50's. I've got a lot of Norman bicycles and they were one of the later makes to go from bolting frames to welding them. I've got a 1954 that's still bolted together, and as yours is welded it's certainly after that. The badge is also a clue though, it's pre-Raleigh... it was built in Ashford rather than "up norf" which would make it approx pre-1960, so somewhere between 1956-1959 would be about right.

Model, it could be one of a lot. The problem with Norman is that the frames look virtually identical, the differences tended to be in things like the saddle and handlebars so the chances of finding an exact match are slim unfortunately Mad

Fantastic looking bike though Very Happy

dannyc7147

http://www.norman-cycles.bravehost.com

Back to top Go down

Post  singo696 Sun May 12, 2013 11:48 am

thank you for that info
do you know what wheels wear used on this type of bike please
would they have been sturmey archer or dunlop

singo696

Back to top Go down

Post  dannyc7147 Sun May 12, 2013 11:57 am

It really depends on what model it was originally to be honest. If it was a tourer like a light roadster it almost definately would have had Sturmey, but (especially towards the endwhen they were owned by TI) Norman just used whatever Raleigh told them to Rolling Eyes

dannyc7147

http://www.norman-cycles.bravehost.com

Back to top Go down

Post  singo696 Sun May 12, 2013 12:25 pm

so do you think the wheels i have put on it look in keeping with the rest of the bike

singo696

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down