Norman Motorcycles Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bicycle update...

3 posters

Go down

Bicycle update... Empty Bicycle update...

Post  dannyc7147 Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi all, some of you may remember I attended a couple of shows with my restored 1950 Norman Light Roadster... well it's time for a little update! Surprised

I now have three restored Normans, but due to us moving to Bournemouth I haven't been able to make the last couple of shows. I've got a 1954 that's now complete, it had its first show with my 1950 back in March at the Bournemouth Aviation museum...

Bicycle update... Attachment

The third bike pictured is a 1905 Royal Sunbeam that is still in 'as found' rusted condition.

The third bike that we've just completed and due for its first show in 2 weeks time is destined to become a serious head turner... she may not be the oldest or youngest, but it's had such a thorough restoration that it can't help but impress! Here's the before and after of our 1940 Norman Ladies...

I got it a couple of years ago from a guy in Colchester. His mum bought it during the war, and despite being repainted a really nasty blue was something I felt compelled to save. The saddle drew most interest... it was canvas, not leather. At the start of the war, leather and chrome were scarce so bicycle manufacturers resorted to using alternatives. Some chrome parts were still in stock from before the war, others, like the lamp bracket, were painted black. Saddles were made for a short period using canvas, and (you wouldn't believe the expense!) it's been fully restored too. The whole frame was stripped to the smallest components, shot blasted, powder coated and rebuilt to give the result you see now. All that's lacking it the chain, but that's easy.

Future projects? I've just bought a 1957 Norman Ladies bike from Scotland, that's next, and I have the frame of another in storage for after that.

I'm really hoping to attend one of the next shows this year too Very Happy

Anyway... here are a few more photos before I sign off Cool

The 1950...

The 1954...

dannyc7147

http://www.norman-cycles.bravehost.com

Back to top Go down

Bicycle update... Empty Re: Bicycle update...

Post  mr.rabbit Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:32 am

Hello Danny,that's an impressive collection you have there.I have been searching for a gent's Norman for ages.Some years ago a friend said that he had found a Norman for me.I went to look and found that it was a motorbike ,not a push bike,I bought it anyway and that is how I got involved with the club in the first place.I took it for a ride yesterday just to see if it was O.K. and ready for the summer.I have just built up an old Dawes from a frame and bits I had lying around it is all right but not a Norman.I will find one someday.Hope to see you at a show somewhere,Paul

mr.rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  dannyc7147 Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:40 am

Norman bicycles are strange, they're not amongst the most popular to collect, but don't come up for sale as often as other makes. The 1950 I bought as a frame only from ebay a couple of years ago and bought everything for it... pretty much everything is available brand new, including rod brakes, if you know where to look so let me know if you need any help with the parts side of things! The 1954 was a £10 find, again on ebay, but that was pretty much complete.

The 1940 Norman ladies was a complete restoration, that was, again, ebay... and I just got two more from there too... again ladies. One thing that could be worth knowing though, the last one I got was in Scotland. It was a bit of a hassle organising things, the guy I bought it from agreed to take it to a bike shop for me, the bike shop packaged it for £20, and I found a courier to ship it to Dorset for £13.50! Looking locally is fine, but it doesn't cost a fortune to get one to you providing it's in the UK. It's a shame I can't help you with a gents, the only two project I have now are both ladies, but there's one I've got on watch on ebay at the moment. Item number 190662679194. It's a Norman Invader, racer, which I don't have, but I've got projects coming out of my rear at the moment including a 1914 Humber and 1905 Sunbeam so as much as I'd love it it's something I really don't have time for right now. I doubt it'll go cheap, but I've contacted the guy, nice man, and he's agreed to package it if I find the courier which I could certainly do for £13.50 again! That really could be worth you looking at if you want that bike!

I'll let you know if I see any others anyway! Very Happy

Oh, in terms of restoration by the way, the two gents just had a respray which was pretty cheap but you can spend as little or as much as you like. If you get a frame, it's worth getting a scrap bike of a different make (for example a Phillips) as a donor... Raleigh won't fit, because buying individual parts can be expensive. The shot blast/respray of the ladies one cost £65 which has made it a real head turner! Anyway, let me know if you need any help with parts/courier etc, I've got a lot of experience dealing with them!

dannyc7147

http://www.norman-cycles.bravehost.com

Back to top Go down

Bicycle update... Empty dating from frame nos

Post  steve1967 Wed May 30, 2012 9:55 am

Hi
new to the forum, ive got a nippy and just got a gents cycle, can you tell the year and model from the frame number? the number is G25454, it has a aluminium headstock plate and WA 53 on the three speed hub, it has cable brakes so i thought 1953 maybe to early,
nice to see others with an interest in these old relics.. Steve

steve1967

Back to top Go down

Post  mr.rabbit Thu May 31, 2012 12:02 am

Hello Steve.I have no details of bicycle frame numbers but the date on the gear hub is usually the date of the bike unless the hub has been replaced.Gear hubs are pretty tough and were not often replaced.Bowden cables were invented in the beginning of the 20th century and I have seen pre 2nd war bikes with cable brakes.I have a couple of early 50's bikes,sadly no Normans, with cable brakes so your Norman could be 1953.Cheers Paul

mr.rabbit

Back to top Go down

Bicycle update... Empty cycle date

Post  steve1967 Thu May 31, 2012 9:37 am

thanks for the info,
glad its early 1950`s thats what i wanted one that was made in Ashford, I was going to restore it but
it works ok and has cleaned up well, so ill enjoy it as it is.
Cheers Steve...

steve1967

Back to top Go down

Post  mr.rabbit Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:00 am

That sounds good Steve.If you make them too smart and clean you might be scared to use them,the Normans made them to be used.Cheers Paul

mr.rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down